The Gamma Delta Chapter of Phi Mu began as a local sorority, Phi Sigma Beta, at American University. In 1932, Phi Sigma Beta petitioned to become a chapter of Phi Mu Fraternity.
The Gamma Delta Chapter was installed on the American University campus on November 19, 1933. It became the sixty-first collegiate chapter of the national organization and the first national sorority at American University.
Ceremonies for the installation began on November 18, 1933, with a pre-initiation examination and registration. Formal pledging took place later that night at the Wardman Park Hotel in Washington, DC. The ceremonies concluded on November 20, 1933, with a banquet attended by the national president of Phi Mu, Mrs. J. L. Rader. During the ceremonies, eleven women were initiated and eleven more pledged. Miss Katherine Brown (Class of 1935) served as the first president of the Gamma Delta Chapter.
The Gamma Delta Chapter is also very honored to have had one of our own become Phi Mu National President. Mary Jane Bennett Johnson (Mrs. Ronald) served as Phi Mu National President from 1998 until 2002.